Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Easy (and cheap) SQL Server Backups

The Backup/DR solution I use at work, like most of them, requires extra licenses to backup MS SQL databases.  I happened to be SQL happy and have databases running on 4 or 5 servers (yes I lost count), purchasing a license for each one can get expensive.  To get around this I had been using a isql from a batch file to dump the database files to a folder before the backup, and while this worked fine it had two problems. First it wastes a lot of space, and second I have no way of knowing if the dump was successful   I know, I could have written a complex batch file to notify me but I am not a fan of batch files, if I am going to bother with that I will just write something in c or vb.net.

I came across SQLBackupAndFTP, and it's a slick solution with a not too sophisticated name. It will backup and compress your SQL databases, handle full and incremental and even purge old backups.  It apparently will FTP them too, but I have didn't bother with that.  It will also backup SQL database from remote servers with a little extra configuration.  They have a free version that will backup two databases (I use that at home) and various paid versions that will backup more.  If your Backup/DR solution gouges you for SQL backups you should check it out.

SQLBackupAndFTP.com

-Keith

No comments:

Post a Comment